We’re here, arrived in Vancouver late Monday, and enjoying a day of preparations. Staying with my daughter Kelly, husband Michael and three boys… hope to relax a bit before our epic ride. Jon Houghton and friend Chuck Bick have arrived with Trailer in tow after an enjoyable 7 day drive from Collingwood to Vancouver.
Woke up to another beautiful Vancouver day, +25 C. Needed to buy last minute mirrors, and supplies, but we were most excited to get to the top of our To Do list, putting together our new bikes. Thanks to Kamikaze and Squire Johns, a new Trek and Cervelo will be taking good care of Hugh and I as we climb mountains, cross prairies and experience sun, wind and SNOW on our Coast2Coast ride across Canada. With trailer ready for departure we headed to the West Vancouver shore. As our starting point, we bottled up some Pacific Ocean to take with us, and used the backdrop as a great place to take photos.
As we do final preparations, I look back on how this all came together, and want to thank everyone who has made this day possible. Without our generous sponsors, this ride would be a very different experience. So now for my most important words of the day.
Sincerest thanks to Hugh Fallon for taking on this dream of mine and sharing in the experience. Jutta, enjoy this time for lots of golf at GBC.
Thank you to generous sponsors
– Mike Jackson GM and Larry Dunn for providing our SUV.
– Can-Am RV Centre for providing our Vista Cruiser home away from home.
– HarbourEdge, investing for growth and income.
– Brian White of Park Signs who wrapped our vehicles with Sponsor logos, spending his whole day off, plus some to make it happen!
– Creemore Springs Brewery, because water alone will not get us across Canada.
– KamiKaze and Squire John’s for arranging bike sponsorships and ensuring our bikes would take us safely and smoothly on our journey.
– Champion Systems for providing our cycling wear kits, complete to keep us looking good!
Special thanks to
– Pharmasave Meaford and Thornbury
– Sarah, owner of ActiveLife who helped to prepare this old body
– Scandinave Spa, always there to support me in my fundraising endeavors
– Ashanti, because every day has to start off right!
– Meridian Credit Union
– Ace Cabs, get ready for your new community transportation company.
– Lora Bay, a green close to your new home.
– OEA | Ontario Erectors Association… making steel stand up for many year!
– Tyrolean Village, special thanks to Paul and Denis Martinek (congratulations Paul on becoming a new dad!)
– Town of Collingwood, The Town of The Blue Mountains, Municipality of Meaford
– Blue Mountain Resorts – thanks Gord for everything!
And Special recognition to Georgian Bay Club, and Steve Prest and Greg Lecky their time necessary to ensure all donations made to my ride, for the benefit of the Georgian Bay Foundation, are received, recognized and allocated to the Collingwood and Meaford Hospital Foundations for the benefit of our communities.